20 April 2008

The Marzipan Incident - The Begining

Marzipan-

Although it is believed to have originated in Persia (present-day Iran) and to have been introduced to Europe through the Turks, there is some dispute between Hungary and Italy over its origin. Marzipan became a specialty of the Baltic Sea region of Germany. In particular, the city of Lübeck has a proud tradition of marzipan manufacture (Lübecker Marzipan). The city’s manufacturers like Niederegger still guarantee their Marzipan to contain two thirds almonds by weight, which results in a juicy, bright yellow product.

Basic Marzipan Recipe:

Uncooked:
1/4 pound ground blanched almonds
1/4 pound powdered sugar
1 egg white
1/4 tsp. salt

Cooked:
3 cups sugar
1 cup water
4 cups ground blanched almonds

The above would be all and good if this Blog was about Marzipan... but it's not. For everybody who really knows me knows that i have a little quirk. My attention span is not long and i get obsessed with (fill in the blank) very quickly and due to one particular moment in my life my family has dubbed these spontaneous moments as "Marzipan moments". You'll have to ask my brother-in-law to describe it to you. So "The Marzipan Incident" is dedicated to those moments. What ever it is and how ever short it might be lived, it will be here. So stay tuned for the first because it was what inspired the blog. Excited? I know i am.

9 comments:

Andrea said...

Kit-
I hope you don't mind me reading your blog. I found out about it on Liberty's. I am excited to read more and I bet it will be quite entertaining! I hope you have a "Marzipan Incident" soon. I'm dying to know how they all turn out.
Andrea Odom

Mamapierce said...

Marzipan, eh? I tend to have "Monk Moments". :o)

Mack Daddy said...

dood kit this rocks in fact you just inspired for me to make my own i gess this is the start of a long road of posting bloggs lol thanks dood
your bro Mack

whitney said...

Yay! for having your own blog, As a long-time audience member of your Marizan Moments (although not nearly as long as some:), I can't wait to hear more!

PS-Pu-Leaze tell me the Mack who wrote the last post is not my very own dear brother...oh goodness.

The DeVito's said...

Hi Kit!
I found your blog through Liberty's. I have to admit that I have my own obsessive things that I very quickly forget! I'll be very interested in reading about yours.

Dirk and Trish said...

You know, Marzipan is similar to Almond Paste. Almond paste is used to make bonquet. Mmmmmmmmmm bonquet. That stuff's tasty. Talk about obsessions... around Christmas time bonquet is definitely an obsession.

Anonymous said...

Yay!! I am so excited. I'll keep "tuning in"! :)

Grammy said...

Kit,as a fan of your Marzipan moments, I can't wait for more. You are a darling!

Unknown said...

Kit--

As the anonymous "brother-in-law" and the person who coined the term "marzipan moments" I expect royalties from any Book, made for tv movies or movies!

Having witnessed my share of these incidents including the one for the title of this blog I can't wait to hear more.